Aug 2, 2011 9:15pm
Re: What Do You Like About The 80's ?
LLR is BETTER with Bob’s rap? What, as comedy? Hey, here’s an idea for a humor twofer: LLR > Do It In The Road!
I do prefer later LLRs to earlier ones, largely because it’s faster and over sooner. No, just kidding. The earlier, slower delivery is a bit dirge-like, or as if it’s trying to hard to be Oh So Meaningful, which just doesn’t work with it. My gut reaction is also that later ones are more jammed out, though I could be wrong. At any rate, I like the jams. I’m really thinking early 80s.
Anyway, what I like about the 80s:
- The shows. A lot of them are actually good. True, there aren’t as many transcendent moments or long stretches of amazing-ness that make you say “how the heck do they keep that up?!?” But they didn’t somehow STOP being terrific artists who could deliver memorable, wonderful music with good vibes and touch-the-sky moments.
- Brent’s organ and backup vocals. I’m certainly an unreconstructed Brent basher ... he sounds like a Doobie at Toys R Us, and his songs are unlistenable ... but I love his organ, his vocals add richness and depth when he’s not dominant (which sounds too Doobie-ish), and he's an undeniably terrific pianist (in spite of his incomprehensible preference for a plastic sound). Plus, we have the band’s own testimony that he reenergized them, which has to count for a lot.
- The songs. No, not the new ones or the covers, for the most part. But I actually like Wang Dang Doodle, the gazillionth version of Minglewood, 80s Deals, MSWS, Iko ... I wouldn’t trade early St Stephens for them, but they’re enjoyable. And hey, Althea is mainly 80s : -)
- Why would anyone want fewer flavors? We have 30 to choose from with this band, and that’s great. Granted, for me the MIDI era is Cookie Dough or Pink Bubble Gum or Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, with a lot of stuff that just doesn't belong in ice cream, so it’s not my choice. But a lot of the 80s definitely passes the taste test.
- The stuff still makes me happy. That's the bottom line, right?